I have conquered my first vegetable of the year – the sweet potato! After years of letting them pile up into sizable mountains, I finally figured out that boiling the tubers (rather than roasting) was the trick. The sugar in the sweet potatoes mellows significantly, making them perfect for those crazy folks that don’t like to mix their sweets and savouries.
This soup has been huge hit with the 10yo. She gets to the bottom of her bowl and thermos consistently and without grimaces. The ingredient list is incredibly short so I would suggest sticking to veggie broth – homemade, store-bought and/or bouillon-enhanced H2O (in a pinch) – will suit the soup much better than plain old water.
Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
1 ½ – 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped roughly
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ medium yellow onion, chopped
4 cups vegetable broth
salt and pepper to taste
- Place sweet potatoes in saucepan, with water and a large pinch of salt. Cook until tender (about 10-12 minutes).
- Drain water and mash sweet potatoes. Set aside.
- Warm olive oil in your soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook till it becomes translucent.
- Add mashed sweet potatoes to soup pot along with vegetable broth and simmer till warmed through.
- Puree in blender and add back to soup pot. Simmer until desired consistency.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Note: This soup was made with the 10yo in mind, but can be easily adapted with your favorite spices. Adding paprika to the onions while cooking would be a lovely and simple addition. A teaspoon or so of chipotles in adobo and/or ancho chile powder would give it a nice kick.